When I bought Pressure Cooker Meals (this website), my goal was to work through all of the recipes and rewrite them in my voice. Since this Instant Pot Mango Pineapple Chicken was the second most popular recipe on the blog, it was high on my list of recipes to rewrite.
Having never had Instant Pot Mango Pineapple Chicken, I knew I had to make it to write about it 🍍
I’m happy to report that my family loved this dish! All of my kids (and the hubby) love pineapple and most of the kids love mango, so I knew there was a good chance they’d like this.
It’s sweet and tangy and mild enough for everyone to enjoy (although personally, I wouldn’t mind if it had a little more kick).
Here’s what you’ll need to make Instant Pot Mango Pineapple Chicken…
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3-4 chicken breasts), cut into large pieces
- 16 oz. jar of mango or pineapple salsa (or a mixture of both, which is what I used)
- 1 fresh mango, pealed, pitted, and cut into chunks (about 8 oz.)
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into chunks (about 16 oz.)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
Let me start by saying that the original recipe called for Trader’s Joe’s Tropical Pineapple Mango Salsa. There is not a single Trader Joe’s in Mississippi, nor any other brand of salsa that seemed to fit that description.
So I had to change things up a bit based on what was available to me. Having said that, if you can get your hands on the Trader Joe’s salsa, go for it!
So instead, I bought Newman’s Own Pineapple Salsa and Newmans Own Mango Salsa. For my trial run, I used half of each. You could easily just use one jar of either one and I’m confident it would turn out just as good!
I told you this Instant Pot Mango Pineapple Chicken was easy – let me show you how easy…
Step-by-step how to…
Spray the inside of your pot with nonstick cooking spray, the using the “Saute” setting, lightly brown the chunks of chicken on all sides.
Searing the chicken is optional, but I’ve found that lighting browning/searing the meat seals in the juices and makes it a little more visually appealing too. Although you can’t really see my slight browning at all with the light bouncing off the meat but I promise it’s there 😁.
Layer the chicken and salsa in the bottom of the pot, then toss it a bit so that the chicken is coated with the salsa.
Layer the pineapple and mango on top, then sprinkle with salt and add the 1/2 cup of water.
Use the “Manual” setting on your Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. Then “Quick Release” and give it a stir.
When serving, you’ll want to cut the chicken into smaller bite-size pieces. If you happen to have one of these nifty Mix N Chop things from Pampered Chef, it’s the perfect tool to break up the meat! (I am in no way affiliated with Pampered Chef… I just love that tool!!)
Serve over hot white rice and enjoy!! I happen to have two Instant Pots (I bought one and won one from Food Blogger Pro) so I made rice in one while cooking the chicken in the other. You could also make the rice in a rice maker or the old-fashioned way, on the stove.
Shop my Favorite Instant Pot Tools & Accessories…Print
This Instant Pot Mango Chicken is easy, delicious and loaded with fruit!
- 4 Chicken Breasts (approximately 3 pounds)
- 16 oz Pineapple or Mango Salsa
- 1 Mango, cubed (approximately 8 oz.)
- 1/2 pineapple, cubed (approximately 16 oz.)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- Spray the pot with non-stick cooking spray,
- Using the “Saute” setting, then lightly brown the chicken on all sides (3-4 minutes). This step is optional, but it does look more appetizing when browned.
- Layer all ingredients in the pot, cook on high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Quick release, then cut the chicken into chunks or slices and serve over rice.
If you want your meal to have a little more kick, I recommend a medium or spicy salsa. My kids prefer milder foods.
Keywords: pineapple, mango, chicken, instant pot, pressure cooker